September 7, 2011

STEVENSON RIDGE - AN ARTIST'S VIEW

I've been neglecting the blog again. Sorry, my friends. It's that 80/20 thing which has now moved to a 99/1 thing.
But I did get out the other week and shoot, thanks to the wonderful folks at Stevenson Ridge; special thanks to Jennifer LaRock.

Simple. Serene. Idyllic. That was my morning at this beautiful lodge/bed and breakfast/inn. There are many words to describe Stevenson Ridge, but I'll stick with my three - simple, serene, idyllic.

Stevenson Ridge is an 87-acre historical property. On that property you'll see some of the best in historical building restoration, the guest houses actually - and my three descriptive words - unique, pristine, charming.

I stuck to the exterior of the property as these buildings, like most historical buildings, intrigued me. While I didn't capture all the properties (yeah, I forgot my map and missed a few), I did make my way around to several and it wasn't always the building itself that caught my attention, but the small details of the buildings that captured my eye.

At the backside of the lodge is where it happens. On my first visit to Stevenson Ridge, the pond centered on the property was so calming. I stood on the balcony of the lodge and took it in - the small dock, the benches, the trees, the oar sticking up out of the pond. I have no idea what story goes with the oar, but it catches my attention. Probably because I just know there has to be a story.

The morning of my shoot, I took it all in again, only this time I had marvelous morning light and beautiful reflections of the Riddick House shimmering off the surface of the pond. I can just see myself sitting on the deck overlooking the pond in the quiet morning sipping a cup of joe.


From the Riddick House, I made my way over to the Log Home. This place has a charm you wouldn't believe and that's only from the outside. The idea of dropping the camera and curling up in a rocker with a good book certainly crossed my mind that morning.



With the porch of the Log Home just calling out for relaxation, I have one question that continues to plaque my mind, even now - what's with the bathtub on the porch? Not so much the bathtub itself, that's just charm, but the can on a stick jutting out of the bathtub. Ah, yet another story of intrigue.


I moved onward. I think I found the Adrian Cabin next. This is another one of those charming porch features. The Adrian Cabin is a small cabin which reminds me that it should be in snow covered ground, so I'd have to think winter here, even in summer. The porch was decked out with this old crate and again, I was drawn into comfort and a good book, along with a tall glass of iced tea with a lemon floating on top, sweating on the table (of course, I'm back to summer). Irresistible.


From the cabin, I hiked over to the Servant's Quarters. The first thing I noticed here was the blue hurricane lamp hanging from the eaves over the door of the house. The Servant's Quarters is very basic, until you trek around to the back. A small deck invites you in. A green door with a porcelain handle beckons you toward the house. An outside bath house (shower) dares you to give up the comforts of home.


Last we come upon the Spy Hill House. A simple two-story cottage with a view of the pond. I liked the detail of the door on this building.


And by the pond, we find the boat, with one oar, which may explain the oar sticking out of the water.


On my adventure to Stevenson Ridge, I missed the Corn Crib and the Civil War House. I asked if I could come back in the fall to again capture the charm of this place, and when I'm out shooting the property with the leaves in full fall color, I will be sure to collect images of the two missing properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment