October 29, 2011

THE HUNT FOR THE BLUE HERON (Part 1)


I was out shooting last week, trekking along the muddy banks of the Rappahannock. Not looking for anything particular. Just wanted to take some nature shots. A flock of four geese (do four geese make a flock?) settled in the water and I quickly changed my lens to get closer shots (it was cold and I wasn't about to wade through the water). They moved upstream (maybe downstream) and I started to follow.

I'm watching them, watching the slim path ahead of me, when I see him (or her). The beautiful curved neck of a crane hiding in the brush along the bank. Maybe 10' away. I moved slowly, quietly, telepathically telling this majestic bird to wait, to stay still. Suddenly his neck stiffened. He became cautious, tense. He took flight.

The elusive blue heron had eluded me again. All I got was a continual blur across the sky.

The hunt continues.





No comments:

Post a Comment