August 1, 2011

HISTORY IN THE 'BURG

I've spent the past month tromping around the battlefields of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania. It's not the first time I've been to these historic sites. I've hiked the trails of Wilderness Battlefield, been to Chatham Heights many times (the view of Fredericksburg is breathtaking), tripped out to Slaughter Pen Farm and walked the fields, and I've taken to the hills of Marye's Heights and the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. In those days I wasn't always shooting.

But it came to my attention how important this area is to those who've spent their lives here. I'm not Virginia home grown. I'm Pennsylvania home grown and lived close enough to Gettysburg to understand the importance of its history. I've also visited Gettysburg on occasion and felt the deep loss of those who fought there. While touring the battlefields of our area, again, I felt that loss.

It becomes highly apparent when visiting such sites as the Confederate Cemetery in Spotsylvania and the Fredericksburg National Cemetery at Marye's Heights. All the stones; all the losses. The ones that always tug at my heart are the Unknown grave markers.

Unknown Confederate Soldier at Spotsylvania Confederate Cemetery
To see the number of those markers astounds me. I think of family who never knew. I think of comrades who weren't there to identify the loss.

But there's so much more to this history than the loss of life. There are elements of the war that stand to remind us. The cannons at Chancellorsville; Ellwood (part of the Battle of Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse); Chatham Manor at Chatham Heights; and the Angel of Marye's Heights at Marye's Heights.

Cannon at Chancellorsville Battlefield

Ellwood

A scene of Generals Gouverneur K. Warren's headquarters at Ellwood

General Andrew Humphreys
Fredericksburg National Cemetery

 
Angel of Marye's Heights
This last one, the Angel of Marye's Heights tells a compassionate story of Richard Kirkland, a confederate soldier who aided wounded Union soldiers on the battlefield.

While these icons of history serve as a reminder of our bloody past, their images serve an artistic view of that past.

While working with the showcase for Congressman Wittman's office, it occurred to me how important these images are and how they serve our community, as well as preserve our past. It created a different view in my mind of the importance of our area; reminders of who fought and why they fought; sacrifices made; the joining of our country. The Civil War, known as one of the bloodiest and deadliest wars of our time, represents so much to so many and it's important to keep that history alive - as a remembrance; as a reminder; as a memorial to those who sacrificed their lives.

House by Fredericksburg National Cemetery

Statue at Chatham Manor

All photos are available through ArtLease.

1 comment: