December 27, 2011

11 FROM 2011

I read about a challenge of picking your best shot from 2011. So I went forward after reading another way to do this and picked my best 11 from 2011. It was a bit difficult. Not because I had problems with the work, but because I didn't go shooting as often as I would have liked. But I found what I liked. And with each photo, I'll tell you why.

And here are my 11 from 2011.



#11 WATER LEVEL
While this isn't a particularly fascinating photo,
this was a recapture from 2008. I like the
simplicity of the image. And the age.

#10 TRAIN
While shooting along the Canal Walk in Richmond, this train came barreling
along the tracks above me. I always wanted to capture a train and the overcast
sky the heavy iron work made for a perfect black and white.

#9 ST GEORGE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
I can't tell you how many times I've captured the steeple
of St. George's Episcopal Church. It just stands out in
the middle of Fredericksburg and speaks of history. This shot
was taken from Chatham Heights. I've taken winter shots
from Chatham, and I wanted to check out spring. The red
roofs and green steeple were a pleasant surprise.

#8 GOLF?
All these years, I thought he was on the
course actually playing the game. Instead, he
was perfecting another skill. This is such a fun
photo - a very relaxed Tom in his element.

#7 BREAKING PROHIBITION
I had the opportunity to shoot at the A. Smith
Bowman distillery. It was a fabulous tour and
the barrels made for some great shots. And a lot
of fun artistic work.

#6 SKYLINE
A shot on the way to Belle Isle in Richmond.
I was walking across the suspension bridge to the island
and looking up saw all these wonderful lines. 

#5 SILVER LEAF
It's just that, a leaf. It was a cool spring day and everything had the full
color of spring. I saw the glint of silver from the light on the backside
of this leaf and gave it a shot. I really didn't expect the photo above, but
sometimes what you think you'll trash ends up being the best shot.

#4 LOVE
While shooting at the train station in Richmond (you wouldn't believe the
opportunities at the train station), I was strolling around, and for whatever
reason looked down and this was on the bricks. It was Valentine's Day.

#3 WISDOM LISTENS
Another shot from Belle Isle. It was the abandoned hydraulic plant, I think.
For graffiti, I love the message. It's just so true. But the fun part was
taking this from a boring wall and making it art. Will definitely print this
on metallic paper so all that glitters...well, glitters.

#2 THE DOOR
Okay, gotta admit, I love this piece of art. This shot
was taken at the A. Smith Bowman Distillery. And
this shot was a loss. Wrong lens, quick take,
unfocused. What can I say. Such is the power
of Photoshop. I get a lot of feedback on this shot.

#1 CROSSING THE JAMES
I don't know what it is about me and railroad bridges. Taken in Richmond,
this bridge crossing the James River spoke of timelessness. And turning
it into art changed the scope even more. This is a metallic print and
everything glimmers and shines. My favorite shot of the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment